Abdominal Pain

Advice for Parents and Carers

To download a printable version of this page click here 

If your child has any of the following:

  • Becomes pale and floppy
  • Develops cold hands and feet
  • Is going blue around the lips
  • Becomes drowsy or difficult to wake
  • Has green or blood stained vomit
  • Develops severe pain despite pain relief such as paracetamol or ibuprofen
  • Has testicular pain (especially in teenage boys)
  • Is under 3 months of age with a temperature of 38°C / 100.4°F or above (unless fever in the 48 hours following vaccinations and no other red or amber features)

You child needs urgent help.

Please phone 999 or go to the nearest hospital emergency (ED) department

If your child has any of the following:

  • Develops a swollen tummy
  • Pain on urination
  • Has blood in their poo or wee
  • Is weeing significantly more or less than normal
  • Experiences constant pain for more than 1 day despite pain killers
  • Has a fever or symptoms continuing for more than 5 days
  • Becomes increasingly thirsty 
  • Develops yellow skin or eyes
  • Has poor growth
  • Is 3-6 months of age with a temperature of 39°C / 102.2°F or above (but fever is common in babies up to 2 days after they receive vaccinations)
  • Continues to have a fever of 38.0°C or more for more than 5 days

You need to contact a doctor or nurse today

Please ring your GP surgery or out of hours contact NHS 111 for advice – dial 111 or for children aged 5 years and above visit 111.nhs.uk

We recognise that during the current COVID-19 crisis, at peak times, access to a health care professional may be delayed. If symptoms persist for 4 hours or more and you have not been able to speak to either a member of staff from your GP practice or to NHS 111 staff, then consider taking them to your nearest ED.

If your child:

  • Is alert and interacts with you
  • Develops diarrhoea & vomiting but no red or amber signs
  • Experiences pain associated with menstruation in a girl
  • Additional advice is also available to young families for coping with crying of well babies – click here.

Self care

 Continue providing your child’s care at home. If you are still concerned about your child, contact your GP or out of hours NHS 111 – dial 111 or for children aged 5 years and above visit 111.nhs.uk


  • Ensure your child has regular food and drink (clear fluids) and regular pain relief (paracetamol/ ibuprofen should be given as per manufacturers instructions)
  • Visit our parent information page at Tummy ache

Accessibility tools