New to the United Kingdom

It can be daunting arriving in a new county and trying to navigate a new healthcare system.
Our top tips are:

1.       Register with a GP (Family doctor). This is essential as they coordinate the majority of medical care in the NHS. You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number.

2.       Your GP practice can help you make sure your child is up to date with their vaccinations

3.       Register with a Dentist (Looks after your teeth)

4.       Find an Optician (Looks after your eyes)

5.       If your child is under 5 make contact with your Health Visitor

6.       Know where to get help if your child is unwell

7.       Known where to go if you or your child is struggling with their mental health

8.       Pharmacists are a great source of help for minor illnesses and injuries 

9.       There is a wealth of local support and help available. You are not alone. 

10.     You can access some services directly such as sexual health and contraception clinics, registering a pregnancy and stop smoking clinics

Below is more information on how the NHS works and what you are entitled to for free in different languages.

How the NHS works - A guide for migrants - Bevan Healthcare in multiple languages

You can contact the 24-hour service NHS free phone line by dialling 111 to get free health information and advice. You can ask for an interpreter in your language by saying "interpreter please."

Medical management, coordination of long term care and access to hospital specialists

A GP can offer medical advice, provide a diagnosis and prescribe medicines. They might be your first point of contact for many physical and mental health concerns. The GP practice is also responsible for coordinating and managing your long term healthcare and they can refer you if you need more specialised hospital services. It is best to register with a GP practice to meet your ongoing health needs. 

You want to do what is best for your child. You know about the importance of car seats, stair gates and other ways to keep them safe. But, did you know that one of the best ways to protect them is to make sure they have all of their vaccinations at the time they are recommended to ensure the mostly timely protection.

  • Immunisations can save your child’s life
  • Vaccinations are very safe and effective 
  • Immunisation protects others you care about

Find out more at at our vaccination page.

Your GP practice nurse can help you get your child up to date with their vaccinations regardless of their age. 

Find a dentist (Looks after your teeth)

If your tooth is painful you should call 111 for Urgent Dental Care Services

Find an optician (Looks after your eyes)

The Healthy Child Programme is designed to offer every family support in making healthy choices. It includes immunisations, health information, developmental reviews, and access to a range of community services and resources.

The Health Visiting team supports you and your family from the birth of your baby up until your child goes to school.

Contact details 





It can be scary when your child is unwell and you are unsure of where to get help. 

The pages below will help you with these questions and provide the answers.

1. Child under 3 months

2. Child over 3 months up to 18

3. Should my child go to school or nursery 

Medical emergency or life-threatening situation

Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk. The The telephone operator will advise you what to do or where to go next. An ambulance may be sent to provide treatment or transport the patient to hospital. Hospital Accident and Emergency (A&E) departments are open 24 hours every day of the year. You can access these services directly and without an appointment

Walk in centres:

If you need urgent medical care for minor injuries such as cuts, sprains and small fractures, or urgent medical advice, you can directly go to a walk-in or urgent care centre without an appointment. These centres are usually open during daytime hours.


There is help available if you, your child or a family member is struggling with how they are feeling. 

If you have seriously harmed yourself or are about to do so, call 999 for an ambulance or go straight to A&E.

If you are thinking about suicide and are an adult talk to someone at the Samaritans by calling 116 123.

If you are under 18

Pharmacists can offer clinical advice and medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains. The pharmacist will let you know if you need to visit a doctor or direct you to other healthcare professionals to make sure you get the help you need. You can also buy medicines for minor illnesses or first-aid supplies in a pharmacy or supermarket; to find the nearest pharmacy, go to:

There is a wealth of local support and help availableYou are not alone.

Ukrainian Support Helpline: 

Help for anyone fleeing the war in Ukraine | Barnardo's (

Barnardos Asylum seekers helpline:

Boloh - the Black and Asian family Helpline | BAME Helpline (

These health services are free for everyone:

- GP advice and treatment

- Services that are provided as part of the NHS 111 telephone advice line

- Accident and Emergency services provided at an A&E department, walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or urgent care centre

- Diagnosis and treatment of some infectious and sexually transmitted diseases

- NHS services provided for COVID-19 investigation, diagnosis, treatment and vaccination

- Family planning services (contraception)

- Treatment for a physical or mental condition caused by torture, female genital mutilation, domestic violence or sexual violence

Specialist health services are also free for:

- Refugees

- Asylum seekers

- Victims or suspected victims of Modern Slavery

- Dependants

People whose application for asylum has been rejected may still have access to free NHS services. Check if you are entitled to free health care.

Prescription medicines, dental and eye care are normally not free in England but asylum seekers who are financially supported by the Home Office will be given an HC2 certificate to get full help with these health costs. Anyone can apply for this support, see further advice on how to apply

Sorry, the PDF could not be displayed. Click here to download the PDF

Accessibility tools